Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ed Reform Lecture at Drew University

Education Reform in NJ and Across the Nation
Drew University
Patrick McGuinn, Professor of Political Science and Education
Friday, September 23
4PM - 6PM

This was an interesting setting to hear about education reform - it was weird to be by myself without my classmates, for one, and I was surrounded by a much older crowd (save for one younger graduate behind me). I actually did learn to appreciate the change of scenery, and when I was able to I was happy and appreciative of everyone's different points of view. What I found kind of ironic was that even though most alumns there were in some form of education setting, no one sat in the front of the room. I thought to myself, "Teachers always hate when students migrate to the back of the room during class - some things don't change." I found it funny.

There was a really interesting older man from Detroit who started a public charter school, where you were placed in classes at your level, and you were mandated to get extra help to improve. Teachers and students had tutoring sessions in the morning and afternoon, and if teachers or students didn't like the practices done at the school, they were "Invited to leave." I thought it was a fascinating concept - a 7th grader reading on a 5th grade level would be placed in a 5th grade reading class, but could take an 8th grade math class if he was advanced in math. He recommended a book by Alvin and Heidi Toffler called "Revolutionary Wealth," which talks about future "education enterprise" - aka the privatization of schools.

A large amount of the lecture part was based around the inequality of schools and that states need more accountability. Apparently, post Brown vs. BOE, schools are more segregated than before (one of my questions was to ask him to quote that information - I knew they were extremely inequal, but more segregated than the 70's? Come on. However, he named like 5 people as sources, including "Five Miles Away, a World Apart" author James Ryan). Another interesting idea discussed was that the popularly opposed No Child Left Behind Act actually stemmed from Bill Clinton's education reform when he was president (see http://www.heritage.org/research/education-notebook/remembering-who-opposed-president-clintons-education-plan). It was really awesome to get other perspectives - it really forwarded my learning.

The one thing that upset/frustrated me the most was that the federal government trust that the states will do what is right for their schools, and when the states are expected to make changes, they make the least effort possible. Professor McGuinn discussed that the states are usually given 4 different "Models of Improvement," which included one where the state would fire 50% of its principals and teachers (according to ones that needed it most using data to make their decisions). However, the model that most states chose was the "Transformation Model," which basically means that the state promises to do better next year as long as the budget doesn't change - it is so frustrating how there is no accountability on any level.

Some things Professor McGuinn suggested to change was the last in first out rule, and the forced placement of teachers (principals don't hire their teachers) - he called them both "dysfunctional."  It is very true - that  we should be focusing not just taking bad teachers out, but keeping the good ones in. He really talked up Teach for America, which I didn't really particularly like - it's not that I don't like TFA, I just think that our program is better, and a percentage of TFA participants use it as a resume builder and don't learn (or use) best teaching practices. He also talked about the 'dance of the lemons' animation from Waiting for Superman, which I really enjoyed, because before watching the movie, I never really knew that side of public schooling.

The biggest thing I learned from this lecture is that there are SO many more things to research about my profession and SO many more points of view (and counter-narratives to my POV) that I should listen to. It was great to hear stories of students who also graduated from my school that volunteered to teach in Africa, have set up tutoring sessions at their schools, and have been part of founding charter schools. There are times where I feel that my little bubble in the UTR is all there is, and to know that others have a passion for teaching that I now share is wonderful - I can never learn enough or reach out to enough people that I can gain insight from and start professional relationships with.

No comments:

Post a Comment