The name of the event I attended was, Teachers Unions in the United States: Political-Economy and How it affects the American Working Class. It is a 4 part series addressing major problems facing teachers and their unions. I attended the 1st session on October 5, 2011. This event was hosted by TALIN (Teachers As Leaders In Newark) and was conducted at Science Park High School by Brandon Rippey. This event ran from 5:30-7:30pm. Brandon provided us with a historical background of economic systems and politics, as well as the historical influences of Adam Smith and Karl Marx. We learned a lot about the development of capitalism and how it affected society as a whole and roles in which the government played. In regards to capitalism, Brandon explained the perspectives of both Marx and Smith and brought us back to present day and where we are now. He broke society down into 3 classes, the capitalist class, the middle class and the working class. He then proceeded to break down the political spectrum, which consists of the Republican Party, Democratic Party, Communist Party, Socialist Party and Progressives. He ended his lecture by reminding us that capitalism does not guarantee freedom and democracy and that socialism and communism do not guarantee tyranny and dictatorship. He then opened up the floor to the audience and answered any questions or concerns we had.
I learned a great amount through this lecture. I never found an interest in politics, nor did I ever understand it. Brandon did a phenomenal job at engaging me in his lecture and understanding how each political party functions. He also provided me with a clearer understanding of how our government works and how capitalism came into play. Learning as much as I did made me feel angry and disgusted with the way our country is run. I feel that the only people protected and benefiting from our current system is the capitalist class and the people suffering the most are the working class. According to the lecture, most teachers fall into the working class, leaving us at the pay scale of $100,000 or less. However, if a teacher is tenured they are most likely to be higher up on the pay scale and fall into the middle class. I feel that politics plays such a huge role in the lives of a teacher and unfortunately the system isn’t as “just” as it should be. Who’s to say that a teacher should be tenured due to the fact that they have been in the system for X amount of years? Who’s to say that just because one has been in the system for a while they should be getting paid more than someone who has only been in the system for only a few years? Does experience always make you a good teacher? Sure it helps, but it’s not everything. I personally believe it’s the teacher who is there FOR the kids that is ultimately the better teacher. The teacher that is there FOR the kids should be the one receiving tenure and increases in their salary. It unfortunately comes down to politics and politics comes down to who has the money and the power.
This lecture also made me think back to the ALI meeting we attended and the controversy between public and charter schools. It seems that, that battle is also a result of politics, money and power. I feel as if the system is run something like this: “Let’s take the “smart” kids and place them in an environment that’s clean, bright, modern, motivating and equipped with the latest technology and best teachers. Let’s support their needs with tax payer’s dollars and continue to breed bright young Newark children. Don’t forget about the “poor” children though, and the “below average” children. They don’t matter quite as much nor do they have anything to bring to the table. They attend public schools. Why give our money to public schools who house those type of students?” BASICALLY we just keep investing our money in places that DON’T need it instead of places that DO need it. Where is that $100,000,000? Oh, that’s right, in the hands of POLITICIANS. Why on earth would we invest that money into our public schools and strive to FINALLY change the system? I know why, POLITICS.
I feel as though politics also contributes to our existing racial problems. As I said, politics coincides with power and when I think of the people in our country in power, I think of white males. We protect the capitalist class, push the working class to extreme ends and leave those in poverty out to fend for themselves. When I think of the capitalist class, I think of white males. When I think of the working class, I think of families similar to my own and how hard they work to make a decent living. When I think of poor, I think of inner city neighborhoods such as Newark, and the large populations of African Americans and Hispanics that make up the city. Why aren’t politicians doing more to help and protect the poor; they’re the ones who need it the most! I feel if our government took a more socialist approach to managing our country things would dramatically change for the better.
I am looking forward to attending the next session and expanding my knowledge on the political scenes behind our educational system.
No comments:
Post a Comment