Saturday, October 8, 2011

Talin-Workshop on the introduction to the political-economy


Kristin Goldsworthy
Organization: TALIN (Teachers As Leaders In Newark)
Organizer: Brandon Rippey (brandenrippey@verizon.net)
Date: October 5, 2011
Amount of hours: 2 hours

Reflection:
            The event that I attended was one session of four, which covers topics such as: an introduction to political-economy, teachers unions in U.S. history, the Newark teachers union and the modern American Conservative Movement.  The session that I attended went over the introduction to political-economy, and the presenter Mr. Rippey calls it that simply because the two terms are extremely interconnected.  Mr. Rippey was a very knowledgeable presenter and teacher at Science Park high who informed us of how the economic system of capitalism came about.  Basically, he reviewed the philosopher Adam Smith’s theory and Karl Marx scientific study of capitalism and how they explain the basics of capitalism and its effect on our society.  I found the lecture to be very eye opening because it has been difficult for me make sense of what is going on in the world and through understanding the basics of capitalism I was able to fill in those “missing gaps”.  I can honestly say that I always felt that issues around economy and politics were way to complex for me to ever begin to understand.  Mr. Rippey was able to explain the foundations of capitalism, which led me to have a better understanding of how a capitalistic society affects Class (social/economic) in the US.  A few key points that I took away was that truly the upper class controls the economy and politics, who tend to be conservative because they don’t like change (as they are benefiting from the system they are in) and since they control the politics (due to funding certain political-right parties) it is quite difficult to make change happen in our society.  This then made me realize that perhaps the only way that our society will move to a more equally just system only if there is a rebellion, (and I say this simply because I feel that a vote will not make that much of an impact as those who run have an agenda related to those who are economically superior and leaving those individuals who are of the working class to become poorer and poorer).  This also made me think of the Occupy Wall Street protests and the signs that say, “We are the 99%”, because those that have control are those of the upper class, leaving the rest of the “99%” to suffer even greater economic woes. 
            Moreover, this has made me think about how socially unjust the capitalist system has made our country and the world.  We are in a state where the rich are getting richer and each day more and more middle class Americans are joining the working/lower class.  In addition, if the politics and economy continue in this manner many of the social programs will continue to be cut (like has been seen after the fading out of the Abbot system) resulting in major hardships for those that benefit from these programs, such as the children I teach in Newark.  How is it possible to close the achievement gap, when the children are not prepared to learn because their basic needs are not met? These social programs are essential.  Isn't this why Abbot came about, because there is such an inequality and an imbalance in the education system?
            The first session of the series made me realize that in order to be an activist I truly need to become more educated in all aspects from politics to the importance of parent involvement before I become an activist for myself and the kids I will teach.  This class has opened up my eyes into where I fall on the political spectrum based upon what it is that I believe in.  In addition it made me want to continue to go to events such as this one because there is an immense amount of information I still need to learn and so many resources to enhance my learning.    

1 comment:

  1. Kristin this is great! Thanks for posting such good information. As I said in my posting below, going to the Wall St. Protest really gave me hope and insight into how activists might actually turn the tide. If you get a chance, you should try to go to one of them...just talking to like-minded people can really sooth the soul. I am so glad you went to this event!!

    ReplyDelete