Culture Circles February 25th @ TC
I was brainstorming ways to explain this PD and ways that we could duplicate the experience with my fellow residents but I truly mean it when I say, “You had to be there!” (I thorough encourage everyone to get to one of these!) It was amazing to be surrounded by educators who although may appear very different, all of us had things in common.
The workshop began with spoken words by IUME Graduate Assistants Crystal and Jamilla. Both of their performances immediately grabbed my attention. We introduced ourselves by sharing phrases that people use within your culture. I was so excited to learn something about the people I would spend the next few hours with.
I loved the articles that we were instructed to read prior to the event. More specifically, I enjoyed discussing and comparing them to the written words of Jamilla’s that she had performed in the beginning of the Culture Circle. One of the girls in my group was from California and was of Mexican descent. She was expressing her frustration that people pre-judge her because of her origins before she speaks and how it causes her to be nervous to speak and write in public. I could totally relate to her that I feel like misspelled words or not using a word in the right context that people might think I’m less educated. I really enjoyed working with people I didn’t know but being able to make connections with them almost immediately. It was interesting to hear everyone’s take on the articles and then share personal experiences.
This workshop reminded me the importance of embracing the cultures and languages of the children in my classroom. Furthermore, giving them the time and space to use it in our classroom community.
This is the chart with the things my group and I jotted down:
No comments:
Post a Comment