Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tipton talks about Teaching What it Takes-Newark

What: Abbott Leadership Institute presents: Teaching What it Takes- Newark
Where: Central High School, 5-8pm
When: Thursday, March 15, 2012


TopicParents as Partners- Establishing a Culture of Collaboration from Day One


Summary: To start off the second class in this workshop, Mr. Williams, reviewed the topic of our previous class discussion. What was intended to be a quick recap turned into a lively discussion about the issues teachers are facing in Newark. Many attendees noted issues such as broken support systems, drug culture, limited choices, and powerlessness as factors, that are typically working against what they are attempting to do in their classrooms: teach students the content and skills they need to get a formal education that can help them rise to any career choice and life goal.

Although this was an important conversation, Mr. Williams had to cut it short, because our purpose for the night was to talk with and about partnerships with parents. First, we were asked to read a short article from CNN by Ron Clark titled "What teachers want to tell parents". As I was reading I could here teacher all over the room laughing and making comments that suggested they agreed with the author's point of view. When Mr. Williams asked if we agreed with the article, many responded "Oh yeah..." Then, he introduced a panel of four individuals, all who various career experiences and parental relation to NPS [all the following people's info is subject to being incorrect, they did not have their names or positions listed for us, I simple took note of as much as I could]. The panel was comprised of: Linden Brown, who was (perhaps, IS) the 13 Ave PTA president and currently is a 2nd grade teacher at another school; Cassandra Tallemedge who is currently a parent of NPS students, is a former PTA president, and serves as a parent organizer; Shellian Peters, who serves as a special education teacher in the district; and Wilmeda Holder, formally a PTA president and ACTIVE education advocate, and grand parent.

The first thing each of the panel members did was define what they considered a partnership between parent and teacher to be. Their perspectives were in opposition to Ron Clark, as they overwhelming believe a partnership to be more collaborative than Clark's interpretation. Ms. Holder defined it as "a two-way dialogue, and affirmed that "parents bring something to the table." Mr. Brown decisively agreed saying it is an, "ongoing dialogue, collaboration, brainstorm." Ms. Tallmedge suggested that teachers do as she does, "call to introduce yourself at the beginning of the year, let them know 'I am on your side'. Set a foundation, give them your cell number, home number and email, I have theirs, I want the to feel comfortable contacting me." Ms. Peters suggested partnership is "a give and take, meeting of the minds." She said, "trust is established and not given" opposing Clark's plea to "Trust us."

From here the discussion was facilitated by Mr. William, with questions coming from the audience of teachers and the panel answering with suggestions, explanations, and bits of inspiration. The conversation was so rich with information and ideas, I could barely keep up with all the notes I wanted to take. We talked about searching for the  person in each child's life that cares for them, regardless if its a biological parent, an older sibling, or what Mr. Williams termed, a "guardian angel" (a person who cared about the child and stood as role model and advocate. We discussed including parents (or that "guardian angel") in setting goals for the school year. We learned about how to gain a class parent and mold that person into a mother Theresa type, who will care for the students, help out the teacher, and will eventually bring more parents into the mix. All in all, the theme was as Ms. Holder proclaimed "a community must raise a child, other parents and teachers must be involved, and sometimes you have to deal with a child straight up [meaning students who don't have adults in their lives, you have to be that adult]." Also, when dealing with children and "people who have been broken by the system," Mr. Williams adamantly stated, "you need to build something around the students, build legs for the students. Somebody has got to take hold of [them]. It's got to be with LOVE."

Reflection: As I shared with Katie, Sarah, and Jim over dinner at the workshop, I was so happy to be at this class. Not only did I learn a lot from the discussion, both from hearing the teachers' perspectives, struggles, and questions and listening to the suggestions and experiences of the panel members, but I was surrounded by a diverse set of people who are deeply entrenched in Newark. It was refreshing to be in a room where people of color were the majority and they were all teachers in NPS! It was amazing to hear from veteran teachers from all grade levels and across the district, all who had differing points of view and philosophies for their work with their students. It was great to hear from people who grew up in Newark, live in Newark, work in Newark, organize & advocate in Newark, care about Newark's children and the future of Newark.  I say this because sometimes I hear things from teachers about giving children the education and the ability to "get out" of Newark...but this is not what can help Newark change, sustain itself, and thrive. We need to empower our students to achieve their dreams and change the injustices of their world and  their community.

I am excited to attend and invite you all to come on Wednesday 3/21, the topics will be: Is Teaching and Learning Happening in Your Classroom? and There is Help! How to research and Utilize Community Resources.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also attended this workshop with Christine. She covered a great deal in her post. I also took away many of the same points. Here they are in a summarized form:

    Parents as Partners

    1. Two-way dialogue
    2. On-going collaboration
    3. Introduce yourself/ build a foundation
    4. Share student expectations
    5. Give a brief overview of the class and future projects
    6. Compromise
    7. Parents have prior knowledge
    8. Determine best forms of communication
    9. Have a classroom parent
    10. Find out who cares about the child (mom, dad, aunt, uncle, etc.)
    11. Stay calm, focused, and centered when communicating with parents
    12. Contact parents at various times for positive and negative feedback

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also attended this workshop. Hearing the multiple perspectives was indeed helpful. Already through my bit of experience as a teacher, I have encountered teachers putting blame on parents who don't want to be involved. This session took away a lot of the blame and reframed it around what's causing the lack of involvement or collaboration between the teacher and parents. As mentioned by Christine, parents and students have been broken by the school system. They no longer have that trust, confidence, or comfort with the school. Teachers alike have succumbed to "teacher lounge talk"- that is, putting blame on parents and students directly.
    This concept reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a student. The student was angered and was arguing another student whom he felt had belittled his intelligence. I abruptly tried to put a halt to the argument. Under his breath, the boy said, "Even you think I'm stupid". After the class was given independent work, I spoke to the child on the side. After a conversation, I learned that he felt insignificant to the "smarter kids" in class. He felt that everyone thought he was just a trouble makers and stupid.He even said his old teachers used to think he was stupid. This tells me that, while I'm sure no teacher directly said those words to him, he inferenced from their actions that they considered him to be inferior to others. And he understood this. He had been broken by school. I tried my best to let him know that I would do anything it takes to make sure he succeeds and that I believe in him. I would work with him to help him in whatever he may need. But I let him know that its a team effort and that we had to work together to make this happen.
    I could imagine that there are countless students who feel the same way as this boy. As teachers, we do have the responsibility to rebuild and rekindle the trust and comfort that students and parents have with teachers and the school. As Ms. Tallmedge said, it starts for teachers on the first day of school. Doing whatever it takes to "fix" that broken relationship with parents.

    ReplyDelete